Saturday, March 6, 2010

Three Beaks

I've turned a corner.



After seeing the light/dark pictures from last time, I've decided to echo the colors on the way back. I'm not using the same colors, only similar ones. I'll do the same thing for the light-colored chevrons above these.

Here is a detail look.


To show how the corner was turned, here's an annotated picture. (Full confession, I had to think about it and even started to pick up from the left side of the afghan, before realizing it needed to start on the right.)


I cast on 30 at A,, and increased one at the end of each right-side row for 5 ridges, until I had 35 stitches on the needles. (This is the turning point of the B corner.) Then I picked up 5 stitches from the lower segment (along where the -5 is, just by threading my needle through the 5 tops of the ridges in the lower segment), and then knitted the last stitch together with one of the picked up stitches, turned, and then knitted two together and finished the row. This decreases one on each ridge, so that when the segment was finished, I again had 30 stitches on the needle (the 30 at the dotted line).

Then I cast on 10 at C, and with the other end of the needle I picked up 10 stitches along D. Then I knitted down the 10 and the 30, and repeated the knit-last-stitch-with-picked-up-stitch-turn-knit-2-together-finish row. By the end of the segment, there are again 30 stitches on the needle. Repeat the process for the rest of the rows.

A couple of details.
  • I still have to knit the small piece to the right of the A edge.
  • When I'm knitting the last stitch together with the picked up stitch, because these are being joined at an angle, I was getting gaps, so before knitting them together, I pick up another stitch from the lower segment and knit all three together. It makes a better join.
  • When I knit the cast-on 10 stitches, I begin weaving the tail from the previous color into the 10th stitch, which helps the join. (And then continue weaving it in on the back.)
So, you may be asking, where are the beaks in the title?

I had this grouping on a chair, and realized what they had in common. Happy Silly Saturday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment