Thursday, September 2, 2010

Just Around The Corner

Here is the current progress.


There are two rows of entrelac finished. Here's a close-up of the edging.


You may remember that I wasn't totally pleased that the fish in the middle wasn't as crisp as I'd hoped. Kabira in the comments suggested I use duplicate stitch.

What a great idea!

I've started an outline in duplicate stitch around the fish, and then I'll use the technique inside the fish.


It's working. Thank you, Kabira!

Here is how I am turning the corner in entrelac.


The red 1 and 2 are the corner squares in the earlier row. You'll notice that the two squares are going in different directions.

The green A is the first square in the corner in the new yarn. It is knitted just like any square, but just knitted back and forth, not connected to another square. It has the same number of rows as any square.

When square A is finished, you pick up along the side in preparation for knitting a square between it and square B in the previous row.


I put a line along where I picked up, because it isn't easy to see here with the way the needles distort the shapes.

Here is the final B square for the corner, as well as the directions of the knitting for each square.


You can see that the squares at the corner in the two rows of entrelac are all perpendicular to each other.

From here, it becomes regular entrelac again. To sum it up, first you knit an unachored square, pick up along the side and continue in regular entrelac.

Once you know how to turn the corner, you can do entrelac around squares, rectangles, and, as I think I will do later in this one, in chevron shapes.

This is going to be fun. I'm excited to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment