Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Spreading Out

First came the extension to the east.


Reaching out, making the way for a diagonal.


Then came a front from the north.


And that's when the weather metaphors ran out, because it took me a while to figure this part out.

The problem was that the entrelac changed directions going from left to right -- it couldn't all be knit in one strip. The trouble spot was where the needle shows below.


Here was the problem.


These segments needed to be knit in different directions.

What I did was knit from the middle to the left, and then I went to the far right and knit from the outside to the middle.

Knitting it in two sections helped me understand the topology a little better. I did have one lesson learned: I picked up all along the ridges, instead of just on one side like in regular entrelac, trying to be efficient. This made it difficult to make sure I was knitting the proper number of rows. In normal entrelac, you know you're done with a square because there are no more stitches to pick up.

Next time, I'll only pick up on one side of each ridge, so I'll know when I'm done without having to continually count. Sometimes being less efficient is being more efficient.

However, I think there's a better solution, maybe an extra row on the left to even it out? I'll look at it more closely on the next row.

This is still a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment