Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Touch of Green

Now that the dyeing diversion is over, I'm back to the entrelac adventure.


I've defined how tall and how long -- look above the center and to the top right for an idea of how the final proportions will be. Now I just have to fill in the bits and pieces.

Here is a closer look at the lower right.


I'm using one of my magic balls to knit it.

Even closer:


The streak of green was just for fun.


I found that doing a row like this, in a non-entrelac fashion, meant that occasionally I needed to start a square from the opposite side from where the yarn was. So sometimes I simply knitted an extra row -- it won't be noticeable within the texture of entrelac -- and when that wouldn't work for positioning the yarn for the next square, I carried the yarn loosely across the back, and then knit it in on the first row, exactly like carrying a yarn across the back in intarsia.

This is exactly the sort of thing I love to work out. It goes to the heart of conditional knitting, where you make decisions based on what is in hand.

I can't wait to see how this afghan looks when it is finished. We'll all be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment