Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dye, Darn You, Dye!

Beautiful and bright in theory.

Here's how it looked after washing and drying:


Not quite like I'd hoped.

My guess is that, even though I soaked the yarn in Soda Ash before adding the colors, and used hot water to mix the dye, there wasn't enough heat on the yarn. I think that I should have carefully wrapped the yarn in the plastic and microwaved it to get brighter colors.

Oh, well, it does look a bit opalescent.

The next adventure was turning it back into plain unplied yarn.



Despite the fact that the Navajo plying should have unzipped, this yarn is not smooth. It was clingy, and in the end it took me an entire day to unzip, unzip, unzip, and then wind.

Here are the final results.



And that is the end of my dyeing adventure. It was a nice interlude, but really I'd rather be knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment