Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Scarf for Every Dragon

It's a little unusual, but I didn't have a new project idea screaming out for my attention, so I made a couple of scarves. (Okay, technically, I finished a scarf which I started before the last afghan, but did make another in its entirety.)

Two passing dragons volunteered to model.


The one on the left is made from leftovers from the last afghan. It's a simple ripple pattern over 21 stitches, knit 2 together, knit 3, make 3 stitches out of 1, knit 3, knit 3 together, knit 3, make 3 stitches out of 1, knit 3, knit 2 together.

I used 3 yarns, starting out with 3 rows of yarn A, 3 rows of yarn B, 3 rows of yarn C, so that when I dropped yarn C, yarn A was ready to pick up and continue with. When you have three yarns going like this, the next color is always on the correct side for a continuous knit.

I started out with 3 colors which looked different enough for me, but blended together a little too much in a ripple pattern, so I frogged back to the last yarn added, and put in one which really contrasted. This brought the pattern alive for me.

Then, to keep it interesting, I varied the knit and purl rows, and added in yarnovers, varying the sequence in sets of 9 rows.

Here's a closer look.



The scarf on the right is the multidirectional diagonal scarf, one of my go-to standard scarf patterns. What fascinates me is that it is essentially the same as 
Kureopatora's Snake Pattern Scarf, except that it is in garter stitch instead of ribbing. What a difference, though, in the end product!

The way to work 2 colors in either of those patterns is to change colors not at the end of the row, like one would expect, but after the turn. That way you have the correct yarns at the correct location when you start a new segment.

I really like how this one ended up, and the edging finished the look nicely. I really like what edgings do for scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment