Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Log Cabin Triangles

The new one is underway, and I've returned to the idea that interested me earlier: Log Cabin Triangles.

Here is the yarn grouping:



Here the triangles are underway:


I'm trying to balance the green vs. the blue, to some extent, using the peachy colors to tie it all together.

I used the double bind-off to join the two triangles along the hypotenuses.



Now what do I do? I could make an entire object from such triangles, or turn this from a diamond to a square.


What I think I'll do is make this a central diamond, and then put two slightly smaller diamonds on either side, with diagonal stripes in the background. That's my working idea, but, in the best conditional fashion, I'll see what I think when I get the next two diamonds finished.

A more detailed description of how to make log cabin triangles can be found in the link in the first sentence, but a quick version is below. This is a generic recipe for garter stitch.


A is the central triangle. Cast on, and decrease one on either side of the right-side rows until down to two or three stitches, knit together and bind off.

In starting the following pieces, pick up one for one when picking up parallel or perpendicular to the stitches you are picking up from, and pick up 4 stitches for each 3 stitches or rows when picking up diagonally. (I bind off each piece and then pick up, because I don't like to have all those needles sticking out.)

For the B and C pieces, increase one stitch on the right-side rows at the bottom (D side).

For the D pieces, increase one on both sides of each right-side rows.

There you go -- why don't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment