Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Almost Done

The body is finished.


Not too bad.

Before I started on the edging, I took a break and tackled another problem: a tangle.


Do you remember this research about knots?

By tumbling a string of rope inside a box, biophysicists Dorian Raymer and Douglas Smith have discovered that knots--even complex knots--form surprisingly fast and often.

No surprise to knitters. We prove it all the time.

Most of it wasn't a true knot -- I just had to keep the tangle loose, and pull out different strands. I also have to admit, I enjoy untangling, because it's pleasant to end up with a tangible and tidy outcome.

Then, on to the edging.



I decided to go with a crocheted edging, mostly because my hands were tired of knitting the thick yarns, and I found it mentally easier to face one stitch at a time rather than a long line of stitches. I did start with single crochet, to give a nice linear look to match the garter stitch. However, I also wanted to add a little width, because the proportions looked a little too stretched out, so I added an extra row to the top and bottom.


(The bottom is on the right in this picture.)

I need to add at least one more row, in the same color as the centers of the triangles, as a final way to tie it all together.

I do love how the edging changes so much.

2 comments:

  1. I love your knitting and I especially love this piece -- and I agree, the edging does so change things--pulling it all together. Lovely and fun work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    The finished version will be posted tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete