Saturday, January 30, 2010

New Start

I have some waiting room time lined up in the next couple of weeks, so I wanted something non-experimental -- something I didn't have to put down and look at and measure, like the circular entrelac would have required.

I am doing a triangular shawl, started from the top middle, and I did at least start with entrelac.


Closer view:

The dark line at the two sides is the next row--I will knit back and forth around the two sides to get the steadily increasing triangle. I'm thinking this one will be mostly stockinette stitch, since I've done so much garter lately. Garter has the lovely squareish symmetry that I've counted on, but stockinette shows off the yarn so nicely.

To get a right-angled point, which I think looks best on a triangular shawl, in stockinette you increase on every two out of three rows. Since I am primarily knitting back and forth and it's a little easier to increase on the front side, I usually do this by increasing on both front and back on the first two rows, and then on the front only for the next 4 rows. So, for a six-row set of Front (F) Back (B), F B F B, it is Increase, increase, increase, plain, increase, plain. So I increase on 4 out of 6 rows.

For this particular shape, I increase at the top left and top right, and then on either side of the bottom point, so 4 increases in an increase row.

No comments:

Post a Comment