Sunday, January 10, 2010

More Progress, More Problems To Solve

This has turned out to be more interesting to construct than I thought.

Here's the current state.



I've turned the corner. (groan....sorry) But seriously, now that I've got corners, the size of the final piece is becoming defined. It feels a lot like finding the corners when doing a puzzle, which is a pretty appropriate image.

I'm just at the point where I can continue the colors, too, and see if the overlapping lines theme comes through or not.

Here's the latest problem and solution.



The white lines were where the piece was when I was ready to define the bottom edge, and A and B were two points. The question was, could they be the points along the bottom edge?

Well, once I thought about it, it turned out to be simple to tell. Since I started each strip off of the left edge consistently at a 45-degree angle, if A and B were both on the bottom edge, then the arrow up from A to the point and the arrow up from B to the point should be the same length. I think you can see that they aren't. A up to the point was 15 stitches more.

It took me a while to figure out how to add the new strip, but the result is the one with the zig-zags. I cast on by picking up along the B edge, and then added 15 more stitches, then knitted the strip up towards A. (I did it that way to try to keep the strips so they contrasted more with the ones they were next to.) Afterward, I added the red strip just to the right of B.

Figuring out that the sides of the triangles will always be equal if the points are on the edge is going to help enormously. This has to be true, because the top of the triangle will always be 90 degrees, and the side angles will be 45 degrees, so a triangle with the hypotenuse on the bottom edge has to equilateral. Always. Each and every one.

What could be easier? To find my edges as I add more strips, all I have to do is count.

No comments:

Post a Comment