Saturday, December 4, 2010

It's Magic



I've had some waiting time this week, so I made a magic ball scarf as my portable project.


It came out a bit short, but I think I can block it longer. Then I'll add a fringe if I need to.

Here's a closer look.



I used a very simple improvised pattern (which is one reason it came out short).

Cast on enough stitches for the length of the scarf. 

First row: *Knit 2 in one stitch, k3, k2tog twice, k3, knit 2 in one stitch*, repeat as far as it will go, but make sure it ends in pattern either with a single (knit 2 in one stitch) or a (k2tog), so it balances at the end, and doesn't grow or shrink.

Second row: knit.

Third row: knit 1, then repeat *yarnover, k2tog* to the end.

Fourth row: knit.

The first row gives the scarf a zigzag, and the third row gives it a lightness, which is needed since my magic balls tend to be 3 strands together. I knit this on 13s.

Here's progess on the main piece:


Not too much new, but now I think I've defined how wide it will be (how far from top to bottom -- this will be a rectangle).

Here is a closer look at the new entrelac part.


I love how this is coming out. And to think, I almost pulled it all out at the beginning!

It's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment