Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Failure and Success



So I made yet another scarf. They just go so fast, and the magic balls make them exciting.

I was trying to make a nice ruffly pattern. I did a row down the middle, picked up along the cast-on side and knit around and around in a flat piece with yarnovers for a lacy look.

Then I began doubling with yarnovers between each stitch, to get a ruffle. I think I did this twice and then cast off in a fashion that added another stitch.

And it did look ruffly. Unfortunately, well, it was ugly.

The problem was the round-and-round pattern, so that the colors weren't allowed to pool at all. This ended up looking just like random yarn, which, to my eye, defeats the purpose of arranging a gradated colors magic ball.

Here is a closer look.


Even the changes in textures didn't work in this design.

I think the basic idea was sound, and this could look good in a single colorful yarn, or a Noro with similar colors in it (such as shades of green). Here is a close-up, so you can see the lacy middle.


But even for me, with a rather loose idea of what works, this didn't make it. So I ended up pulling it all out again, so it can live to scarf another day.

I hate doing that. I hate to undo work. It feels so inefficient. I'd much rather figure out a way to make it work, even if that takes more time -- at least one is doing something new. But when the piece is a scarf, there's no room for adjustment.

Ah, well.

On a more successful note, here is progress on the major work.


I love the mosaic appearance. Here is a closer look at the part I'm currently working on.


 At least the big project is successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment