Friday, August 13, 2010

Touch A Heart

I like to look at new shawls for a while, to try to understand what worked and what didn't, so I usually drape the latest one over the sofa, and, when they fit the space, I'll hang them over my desk at my office.

The current one at the office is my Darker Shade of Pale shawl.


Two separate people whom I work with have come in and stared at the shawl, and then they told me it might be the best one I've ever done. They've had a catch in their throats when they said this. Something about this shawl has really moved them.

The last thing I remember knitting which did this was a hat, child-sized and mossy-colored in fine yarn, and with a motif from Bohus knitting on the side. I think it looked like a vintage hat, because several older women, including my mother, got that same sound in their voice as they turned it around in their hands.

Neither of these objects moved me the same way. Some of my shawls delight me more than others, usually because of some juxtaposition of color. The latest one was Mirror.


I just really enjoy how some of the colors seem almost wrong, and yet not quite wrong. It makes my brain feel intrigued.


Anyway, the difference in how we all encounter the same objects is fascinating.

As long as we're at my office, here are a few other knitted items I have there.

This is Robirda.


Here is a cat showing off one of the scarves.


And here is my computer cover.




That is more than simply decorative: it hides the label we are required to have to have on our equipment, and which I hated looking at all the time.


There is one more place I'm thinking of adding some knitting: my windowsill.


At first I thought I'd have to knit something special, like I did for the computer, but now I think maybe a scarf would work fine.

Hmmm. I could make one to go with the shawl, and then every time I brought in a new shawl to hang, I could coordinate it with the scarf.....

Or is that too Martha Stewart?

No comments:

Post a Comment