Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cleaned out a Closet, Found the Past



Yes, I found some photos from back when I first started to get serious about knitting. Back before 'blog' was a word!


Kaffe Fassett changed my life. The top right swatch was the one that started it all -- before that, I was a simple scarf knitter, with an occasional crocheted afghan. Simple stuff.

After I became enchanted with the leopard print in one of his books, borrowed from the library, I took several colors of Red Heart yarn (not much money at the time, and well before Colinette or Noro yarn) and tried it.

It was lovely. And it changed everything. At that point, I knew I could make amazing things, and all that was left to do was, you know, actually make them.

I went through lace periods, too. Marianne Kinzel and German patterns ruled!



And I made socks.


One couldn't get yarns as wonderful as those available now. I wonder if I would have leaped into color intoxication without Noro and Colinette?

But Kaffe led the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment