Sunday, October 24, 2010

Unforgettable?



It finally occurred to me that if I wanted to use the elephant head pattern for the top of the knitted jar, I ought to find out what number of stitches I was aiming for, to get a smooth join. So I looked at the pattern, but it wasn't easy to tell, since the pattern starts at the tip of the nose and goes back to the tail.

Well, there's one sure way to find out, so I began knitting it. I began with a light blue, but as that got meager, I added in a Colinette yarn called Elephant's Daydream -- how appropriate is that?


Yes, a knitted elephant's head looks.....rude. There's no getting around that.

The only modification I made to the pattern was to knit it in the round until I got to the part under the chin. Less sewing for me that way.


Here is a closer look at where the division started. All I did was stop knitting in the round, and went back to the original pattern. This opening will be where the elephant meets the jar.

I can see that I'll have to improvise something at the back of the head, though, because I want the opening at the bottom of the head, and the pattern continues back to the body, so there's an opening at the back of the head. Fixing that shouldn't be difficult.

Who knew elephants dream in pale blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment