Saturday, February 6, 2010

Numbers Are My Friends

Today, at least.

Here's the current progress.



 Here's some detail.






Yes, pretty colorful.

I'm doing some modular squares along the edge, trying to echo the entrelac square shapes. As I mentioned in the last post, I wasn't at all sure of my math, so I plunged in -- and it worked! Frankly, I was amazed.

Here's what happened.


The 'A' sides are where I picked up 10 stitches on each side to start the modular square. However, since this is stockinette, I did double decreases on each side of the center on 2 out of every 3 rows. That means that the 'B' sides are 17 stitches high (17 rows). When I have the last stitch after the last decrease, I then pick up 9 more stitches down the side, put a marker, knit 10 stitches from the side of the shawl, and start the next modular bit.

When I pick up from this entire strip of squares to continue the shawl, I will again pick up 10 stitches in each square. It took me a while to figure out how many to put at the top corner (the beginning of the modular part), and I ended up with a triangle with 6 stitches at the bottom. I now see that it was wrong -- it should have looked like the top diagonal half of one of these modular squares.

Well, poop. I guess numbers are more like acquaintances. Easy to fix, though, so I'll take it.

By the way, the purple ball-edging looking area was made with this yarn.


I knitted two stitches between each bobble. Frankly, it was not fun at all to keep the bobbles in front and then knit around them. Cool effect, but I won't be looking for more of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment