Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pinwheel Aperiodic Tiling





This is what I'm working on right now. The contrast in the photo isn't quite right -- it is all shades of green, but I can't figure out how to edit the image so the colors are more true to life.

I was looking at pictures of various tilings on this webpage and found the pinwheel one near the bottom of the page. What caught my eye was:
The pinwheel tiling can be constructed by starting with a right angle triangle with side lengths of 1, 2 and square root of 5.
In other words, it's made of right triangles where one side is twice as long as the other side -- an extremely simple shape to knit in garter stitch. I liked the random ('aperiodic') look a lot, and if it is flipped over, one could make a rectangle.


Each segment has 5 parts, so I got out all my greens and put them in groups of 5 of similar hues, and got started. I decided on sides of 20 and 40 stitches-- you can see that the length of the entire shape is the equivalent of 5 'long sides,' so my entire length would be 200 stitches. I'm on my fourth segment, knitting each piece on as I go.

If you start a triangle from the 40 stitch side, decrease one stitch on each row at the slope side; if you start from the 20 side, decrease every other ridge (once every 4th row).

I had thought I'd make the top side in a similar fashion but in a contrasting color, bur I'm getting bored of one-color garter. I may make the top where each segment is all one piece, in some kind of shaded yarn.

Imagine how this would look done in Noro yarn....

No comments:

Post a Comment