Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Color As the Fifth Dimension

I went to St. Johns in Annapolis, where one spends a lot of time in the first math class discussing what a geometric point really means. I heard someone on the phone the next year saying, "I just want to yell, it's a dot, damn it, can't we get on with this?"

First dimension, visualized as a dot. 

Second dimension, visualized as a straight line.

Third dimension, visualized as a coil.

Fourth dimension (time), visualized as a point moving in a coil pattern, so if you froze it, you'd only see one part or another.

And then my own private fifth dimension, color, visualized as a point moving in a coil pattern, also changing color as it goes.

Color changes everything.

Here is an example, using the Curve of Pursuit pattern from Woolly Thoughts. (Love their stuff, which I tend to use as the outline for my palette.) (Pictures used with permission.)


Version 1, by VelvetMarmoset on Ravelry. Note how the colors make you group several sections together.





Here is a second version, by Nettischaf in Ravelry (her blog)

Note how she has made the corners not match, too. 



  
The third is by Mawelucky on Ravelry. (her blog)  Wow, doesn't that look different? All done by color choices -- she used all four colors in every layer, instead of using one color per layer.




As for me, well, I don't keep my focus so well, so I put in several curves in one afghan.




 

Same shape in each one, but what a difference that dimension brings!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    thanks for this educational blogpost. It is impressing , how different the blanket are , just by changing the yarntype and the colorway.
    My sockyarn leftover blanket was a test to knit the curve of pursuit pattern and it is now used as a cover of my backside carseats.
    gudrun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad idea! You'll look in your rear-view mirror and get disctracted by it's beauty!

    ReplyDelete