Saturday, July 17, 2010

Like A Comet

I was checking out one of my favorite online magazines, when I was captured by a window design from Frank Lloyd Wright. It's on page 119 in the Summer 2010 online version of Hyperseeing Magazine.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a stand-alone version to show you, for those that don't want to look at the rather large magazine. This was as close as I could find on the web.

My first thought at seeing the design was of comets, with the diamond as the head of the comet. And, with all those diagonals, it looked very knitable.

So that's what I started, using the same colorway as the last shawl.

Here is the beginning.


It was begun as a regular modular diamond, by casting on 85 stitches in orange, and then double decreasing in the middle on each right-side row.

I cast on with bright orange and then shaded into yellow, with a shiny gold at the tip, which is to the left in these photos. (The pucker is from a very thick yarn, but I expect it to flatten out at the final blocking.)


I don't know if you can see how it becomes shiny or not, but it does, to mimic how the brightest part of a comet is the leading edge.

Then I picked up along the cast-on side, and started knitting the tail side, towards the right on these photos. I knit two together at the beginning and end of each right-side row, and increased on either side of the middle.


I'm throwing in a few stockinette rows just to mix it up, and make the comet head more distinctive, although I'm not bothering to adjust the increase/decrease rate from garter to stockinette.

Knitting is forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment