Sunday, April 18, 2010

Slightly Over the Edge

Current progress:


Notice anything? In the bottom corner?


Yes, a little bit extra. As I was knitting that segment, when I had finished decreasing in from the upper corner of the segment, I thought I could simply continue knitting, but I should have bound that bottom side off at that point instead.

How to fix it? Unravel the segment? That's no fun. Here's what I did instead.

First, I cut the extra part off, being careful to cut a couple of rows below where I wanted the final edge.



Then I unraveled to the first whole row, and then hooked the stitches closed, somewhat like how one binds off. Here is the process halfway done, from the backside.


A is where I have hooked the stiches closed, so it wouldn't unravel any more, and B is the part that I was still preparing to hook.

Below is how it looks all chained. I tied the side yarns together to keep them secured.


The chained edge is a little tight, but when I pick up for the edging, I'll pick up one row in where it is looser. However, now the edge is stable, and I'll weave in the tied off part in the back.

Elizabeth Zimmermann was right: I am the boss of my knitting.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I really, really have to learn to knit like this.....I love everything you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until you see the final! I'm very excited.

    ReplyDelete